Real Estate License Reciprocity & Portability Guide

Cody Cromwell
Written by
Last update:

What Is Real Estate License Reciprocity?

The concept of licensing is a deeply ingrained part of many professions. For example you may need to be licensed to drive, play in a band, or even practice massage therapy. In the real estate industry, there isn’t necessarily a lot of opportunity for reciprocity, but it does exist.

Let’s say you live in the state of South Dakota, but you plan to move to the state of Florida. In order to be able to work in real estate in your new state of Florida, you will need to first be licensed in South Dakota. Some states allow reciprocity (giving you the right to work in their state without being licensed in the state where you live). That way, you can work in your new state of Florida and you don’t have to go through the process of getting licensed in Florida.

Some states allow reciprocal real estate licensing without giving you the right to do transactions in that state. This means that you can only work in your current state of South Dakota.

Types of Reciprocity Agreements

In cases where a state does not have a recorded reciprocal agreement with another state, it’s possible to find a way to license without reciprocity. You can find these examples of reciprocity agreements in the form of a linked license agreement or a licensable agreement.

Reciprocity is primarily relevant to out-of-state licensees, but the linked licenses and licensable agreements also offer additional protections for in-state licensees. In fact, in some states, reciprocity agreements are mandatory.

There are four varieties of the reciprocity agreement:

  • Linking
  • Licensable
  • Linked Licensable
  • Union

This guide provides a brief explanation of each type of reciprocity agreement and provides some examples for the particular states. The ultimate purpose of reciprocity agreements is to allow one state to recognize the same type of licensure within another state. This permits licensees to provide services in both locations without being required to re-apply for licensure. Reciprocity agreements provide license holders with a unique opportunity to advance their career by managing different real estate situations in two very different locations.

If you’re interested in the architecture of a reciprocity agreement between two states, be sure to visit the e-book made by Dr. Galen Weber, the

What Is Real Estate License Portability?

To understand what is real estate license portability, we first need to understand what a real estate license is. In the United States, the title of licensed real estate agent is not protected. In other words, you can use the title of licensed real estate agent to call yourself a real estate agent, even if you have no actual real estate license.

There are organizations that recognize the title of licensed real estate agent. Some of these organizations include the National Association of Realtors (NAR), the American Institute of Real Estate Appraisers, and the National Association of Realtor’s MLS board. All of the organizations acknowledge the title of licensed real estate agent, but require more education and training than what is typically required to become an agent in the real estate industry. These organizations also have certain requirements that must be met in order to obtain a license.

The title of licensed real estate agent is also protected in Canada. Only organizations that are recognized by a provincial or territorial government can grant titles. Real estate licenses are granted by the real estate regulatory authorities (RESAs) set up to administer the licensing system. In most places in Canada, real estate agents must obtain a license from their RESA and comply with a number of regulations and guidelines.

Cooperative State

The National Cooperative Bank and the National Cooperative Business Association have worked for decades to secure the rights of cooperatives to operate in all 50 states, and to support those states’ efforts to grant privileges to cooperatives.

Now, the NAB Cooperative Reciprocity Program collects licenses and fees from each state and then returns the license fee savings to each state’s cooperative community. This is a win-win scenario for all cooperative members.

Physical Location State

To practice real estate in a given state, you must be registered in that state. A registration allows you to do business in that state. This gives you the opportunity to work with clients and advise them on what is happening with their portfolio. Many states offer reciprocity with those states that recognize your license. This is a state by state agreement between those states to allow an out of state license to be accepted in that state.

It is important to note that only some states will reciprocate and allow you to take the test and gain certification in that state as long as you are a registered real estate agent. So, here’s the key to remember:

These reciprocity states only permit you to take the assessment test and gain certification if you are licensed in your home state.

For example, if you are licensed in Florida, and the states of Virginia and North Carolina recognize your Florida license, you can go ahead and apply for real estate certification in Virginia and North Carolina; however, you will not be allowed to take the test or hold yourself out as a real estate agent until you are registered in Virginia and North Carolina.

If your home state doesn’t recognize your license from other states, you will be permitted to take the assessment test and gain certification in all reciprocity states.

Turf State

The most prominent states with licensing reciprocity across the United States are Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York.

Each of these popular states recognize a valid real estate license issued by any other U.S. state…

However, there are a few key exceptions to these rules.

Non-Nebraska real estate agents have no reciprocity in Florida, so they will not be able to work in that state unless they obtain a license.

While most states do have reciprocity with Florida, the reciprocity does not extend to the title agent….

The bottom line: Make sure to speak with an Illinois and New Jersey Real Estate Commission Director before you head out on the road. If you are unable to obtain a license in the U.S. states that you are heading to, you may want to consider looking into real estate license reciprocity.

Tips for Conducting Real Estate Business in Other States

Real estate professionals are licensed in whatever state they set up shop in. If you want to move your real estate business to another state, it will be important for you to know what requirements you need to meet in order to be licensed in that state. To work in another state, you must first consult with your current state’s applicable licensing board and ensure that you meet minimum requirements.

However, if you don’t live in active real estate and you want to do real estate business in another state, you will need to meet certain requirements for licensing reciprocity.

Guidelines for reciprocity have been set forth by the National Association of Realtors. Here are the minimum requirements for a non-resident real estate license:

  • Provide proof of license and registration in your home state. For example, NAR certificate.
  • Provide a letter from your active state licensing board.
  • Pay the fees.
  • Be enrolled in the NAR.
  • Have ready access to a phone and the Internet.
  • Have a client relations program.
  • A business library.
  • A privacy, marketing and code of ethics program.

Before you begin to seek licenses in your new state, check with your licensing board in your home state for reciprocity guidelines to confirm that you meet minimum requirements.

Consider a Buyer’s Agreement

Real Estate License Reciprocity, or Portability Guide.

Maybe you’ve been thinking about buying real estate, or you’ve actually just purchased your very first piece of real estate. Regardless of when you decided to take the plunge and pursue real estate, you first need to obtain a real estate license. But don’t start looking for a real estate school or for an agent to sell your home. Remember, a real estate license is not required by law in all states to buy or sell real estate, or to be a real estate agent.

First, you will need to check with your state to find out if you need a real estate license to purchase real estate.

If you do need a license, a real estate license generally requires a K-12 education in real estate; however, not all states require it, so check your local laws regarding education requirements.

Whether or not you need a real estate license to be successful is another question. An education in real estate is a valuable skill regardless of whether or not you ever sell a house, and a hands-on real estate license comes handy when searching for a house.

Know the Reciprocity & Portability Laws

Portability laws differ from state to state but generally require that you have certain licenses in the state you’re moving from in order to apply in the state you’re moving to. There are also taxes and fees due on the license fee. For complete details, your state’s real estate licensing agency should be able to provide you with information or you can consult with an experienced Realtor.

In addition, some states do not allow for reciprocity of a license from another state although most do.

Most states, although more states are coming on board, require a waiting period if you move from one state to another.

Most states do not allow a person to take their real estate license exams and get licensed in two or more states in the same calendar year.

Some states recognize licenses from other states that have met the requirements for such recognition. Some even allow for an applicant to take a real estate exam at another state’s real estate licensing agency and then be licensed in that state.

Most states do not recognize expired licenses, unless this license has been renewed within the last 5 years.

It is impossible for a state to accept a license from another state that is expired or lapsed. Thus, if you want to obtain a real estate license in another state, the license must be current.

Consider Referring Business to Local Licensees

Most states require some business-related work experience before granting you an initial real estate license. In order to be eligible for a real estate license in your home state, you need to have completed a pertinent, mandatory course.

For some states, you are required to complete a course that also includes at least one day of supervised experience with an authorized agent or for a period of at least one day. Beginning licensees must also work under the supervision of an agent or broker who has at least one year of licensure in your state. If you complete this pre-license course, which must be completed before licensing, you may be exempt from the supervised experience and/or the educational course requirement.

It obviously makes sense for you to refer business to your local licensee and to do as much work as possible with them. In states with reciprocity, you are allowed to list residential or commercial property using the name of another broker for a short time. This may allow you to get licensed more quickly or make it possible for you to satisfy the experience requirement while you are still referred to the local licensee.

Real Estate License Reciprocity & Portability by State

State-by-State License Reciprocity & Portability

States have enacted specific laws regarding the transferability of real estate licenses and the enforceability of a out-of-state license ordered as part of a disciplinary action. This model statute and the interpretations developed by states are intended to protect the public by making sure that a licensed broker's license is not transferred fraudulently or under circumstances that might grant the broker an unfair advantage over the public.

The chart below includes information about state laws governing broker's license reciprocity. The summary looks at the laws for brokers and/or salespersons who must comply with a disciplinary action in another state. Under what circumstances the license can be transferred and brought into a new state is also included. The last box provides a link to the outlines of all state laws for these matters that are available on the NAR's website.

An out-of-state broker's license may not be used for practice in a new state unless the following are satisfied:

{1}. The last state in which the broker's license was issued must be a reciprocal state.
{2}. The broker's license must have been issued for cause.
{3}. The broker's license must have been in issue for at least three consecutive years.
{4}. The broker must comply with the applicable disciplinary rules of the last state in which the broker's license was issued.



The Information in Our "Alaska Real Estate Commission" Section is Provided by the Alaska Real Estate Board.

A Real Estate Agent in Alaska Must be Licensed by the Alaska Real Estate Commission.

Alaska Real Estate Commission Information Directory

The Alaska Real Estate Commission has made a Real Estate Licensing Information directory available to help you easily find information concerning the Real Estate Licensing in Alaska. The Directory has information about classes, associate applicants, lists of licensed conveyancers, real estate commissions and is not a solicitation.

All licensed real estate agents in Alaska are required to attend mandatory continuing education classes annually, take additional classes upon request, and complete a minimum of 40 hours of additional mandatory internship training and up to 60 hours of additional weekend training. They must also complete the on-line educational requirements and pass the on-line practical exam.

The relevant sections of this information will be of help to licensees who want to stay up to date with the substantial changes in our real estate laws and regulations, A.S.A title 25.

Additional Resources for Real Estate Certification and Continuing Education

A.S.A title 25

A.S.A title 20

Licensing and Certification Resources

A.S.A. real estate commission Forms and Qualifications

A.S.A. Real Estate Commission Form Standards



In Arkansas, you must obtain a real estate license in order to buy, sell, or rent housing. The license must be renewed every two years and you must meet certain requirements for your license.

If you are transferring your license to a new state or state of residence, the license is considered portable. That means you may take your license to a new state without passing all exams again ” as long as you meet licensing requirements.

Arkansas Real Estate Exam

The Arkansas Real Estate Examination covers the topics required by the Arkansas Real Estate Commission for a license to sell real estate.


Homework is required for each of the four sections of the examination.


Real Estate License Rule of Thumb:

This guide outlines the reciprocity among the real estate broker licensing regulatory systems in the fifty US States, and how it affects real estate license portability, and real estate reciprocity referral. The reader should note that this post is by no means comprehensive and will not address all possible scenarios or changes that may occur. Just as in the case of other professions, the current system is evolving and, as a result, the operation of license laws is ever-changing. Though the below rules of thumb are often used, they are not intended to be used as a guideline for your specific situation and, as such, you should consult applicable state and federal laws for each situation.

The license laws applying to real estate broker licensing vary greatly from state to state. To give you a better understanding of the scope of the problem, the post below touches briefly on the major areas of area of application in the 50 U.S. States. As a result, the following is only meant to be a general guide and is by no means comprehensive. If you are interested in additional detail, you should refer to the original source documents for each jurisdiction. *Note that most states have reciprocity with other countries. This is beyond the scope of this post and if interested, you should refer to the original source documents for each state which are typically located on their respective state home page.

Reciprocity and Transient Licensure:


If you hold a real estate license in another state, it’s possible to become licensed to sell real estate in Colorado.

To obtain that license, you need to contact the Colorado Real Estate Commission (REC). They will send you a package with information, including a –Self-Certification of Reciprocal License” form.

Note that you will need to apply for a real estate broker license in Colorado.

Your application will be sent to the real estate commission in your home state for processing. You will then receive a letter from the neighboring real estate commission confirming that you are licensed to sell real estate in Colorado.

What About Utah?

There is no Utah reciprocity agreement with the state of Colorado, however, in Utah you will need to complete fifty hours of real estate continuing education.

To get started, print the application. If you would also like to explore the residential real estate market and Utah’s business license requirements, you may want to consider our Utah Real Estate License Review course.

The last step in obtaining a real estate license in Colorado or Utah is to take and pass the state licensing exam.


Connecticut’s Real Estate Commission website states that Connecticut does not have "dual licensing" for real estate salespersons and real estate brokers. The alternative and the real estate license recertification requirements also change.

Connecticut Real Estate license types:

Real Estate Sales Agent or Broker License: reactivity waiver required from another state.

For certain types of transitional licenses, an application to add a new license type to another license is required.

Licensure Renewal: real estate license must be in good standing for one year and has no pending disciplinary actions.

More information can be found on the CT Real Estate Commission website. Additionally, click on "Licensing" to view licensure information for each license type.

States that follow reciprocal agreements:

  • Texas, Texas (Continuing Education)
  • Utah, Utah, Utah (Continuing Education)
  • California, California, California (Continuing Education)
  • Massachusetts, Massachusetts, Massachusetts (Continuing Education)
  • Kansas, Kansas (Continuing Education)
  • Texas, Texas (Continuing Education)
  • Utah, Utah, Utah (Continuing Education)
  • California, California, California (Continuing Education)
  • Massachusetts, Massachusetts, Massachusetts (Continuing Education)
  • Kansas, Kansas (Continuing Education)


Allows nonlicensure real estate agents to sell Delaware real estate and build geographic networks.

A license becomes effective when the licensee passes the Prelicensure Reciprocity Examination (PRE) and the Real Estate Salesperson Examination (RES).

The RES examination will be offered at the same time as the PRE examination in Delaware.

Residents with an active license in the last five years in the state of Delaware will be eligible for licensure with the exception of a failure to complete the Prelicensure Reciprocity Examination.

This reciprocity program applies to nonlicense real estate agents who hold a license in any of the following states:

  • Arizona
  • Colorado
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Pennsylvania
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • Wyoming
  • Any U. S. Territory

Based on information from the Delaware Real Estate Licensing Commission.


In the next few pages, we’ll look at the process of reciprocity used by the Florida Association of Realtors (FAR) in conjunction with the State of Florida Board of Real Estate Examiners. And as we’ll see, it’s a fairly straightforward and easy process (that can save you money and time if you’re licensed in another state and moving to Florida).

If we’re referring to a non-resident real estate agent that wants to become licensed in Florida, we’ll need to understand the process. That’s because there are some recurring (and embarrassing) jokes about non-Florida residents wanting to become brokers and agents to sell houses in Florida – only to fail horribly.

To make the process of licensing in Florida easy and understandable, the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation has a handy website with information on reciprocity. Everyone that is licensed in another U.S. state may be granted a Florida real estate license even if they do not live in Florida. How does this work?


Georgia Real Estate license reciprocity is designed to make it convenient for a real estate license holder in another state to become licensed in Georgia. The name is fairly self-explanatory. A real estate license in a reciprocal state is valid in Georgia without further action.

If a license holder is not from a reciprocal state, he or she must send a non-resident application along with the appropriate fee and education requirements for approval. However, the general rule is that states that recognize Georgia real estate licenses will also recognize licenses from other states.

States recognize licenses from other states free of charge until the real estate license holder actively practices as a real estate agent in Georgia.


Are you moving to the State of Hawaii for Real Estate License Reciprocity? If so, you’ll need to know a little about the reciprocal agreement between the State of Hawaii and ERCA.

Different states have different reciprocity agreements when it comes to obtaining a license to practice law in another state. This is most often a function of the states border and how easy it is to cross.

This article reviews reciprocity agreements between states and also provides links to reciprocity agreements.


Idaho is one of the easier states to move to for those who own a real estate license out of state.

In Idaho, licensees from one state that have held a real estate license in good standing in their old state are eligible to apply and must take the Idaho Licensure Exam. To see if you might be eligible to transfer your real estate license, you will need to consult with your state of residence prior to pursuing this option.

In order to transfer your real estate license in Idaho, you will need to meet the following requirements:

Qualify for and Take an Idaho Licensure Exam

The first step to transferring your license in Idaho is to become eligible to take the Idaho Real Estate Licensure Exam. To learn more about the Idaho Real Estate Licensure Exam eligibility requirements, visit here to access the Idaho Real Estate Exam Eligibility, Intent to Continue and Appeal Process Form.

Critics will say that if you possess a real estate license in another state, you kow already know the Idaho Laws and Rules of Real Estate. But this is not true. There are many Idaho Rules and Laws that are different from other states. The Idaho Real Estate Laws and Rules are different than other states in several ways.

In addition to the above requirements, you will also need to meet certain education requirements in order to take the Idaho licensure exam.


Reciprocity in Illinois is voluntary. A reciprocal means that if you have a real estate license in another state, you receive the same license in Illinois provided you have met the requirements. You will do this through an endorsement with your home state licensing commission to recognize your Illinois license.

In addition, if you have a license in Illinois, you must send the complete application of your home state and pay the reciprocity fee. If you have been licensed in Illinois for five years or less, you can request an endorsement without assuming the burden of the full licensing requirements.

Illinois Reciprocity & Waiver Requirements

In order for your home state to recognize your Illinois license, you must first request an endorsement. To obtain an endorsement, you must:

  • be at least 18 years of age and qualify for an Illinois real estate license
  • have a valid Illinois real estate license and have held it for at least 5 years
  • be in good faith standing to obtain a license
  • have passed the requisite Illinois salesperson exam
  • not have another state license revoked or suspended
  • have a complete application on file with your home state real estate licensing authority
  • be able to pass all Maryland real estate licensing requirements, if applicable.


If you are interested in buying a home in a new state, it is important to do some research on local reciprocity laws. There are thousands of professionals in the industry, and among those at least some are from out of state. Those professionals are required to pass the required pre-licensing exams for the state where they are licensed in order to practice, often many years later than they would have in their home state. So, reciprocity laws are designed to make sure that the licensing is done locally so that the professionals’ home state jurisdiction remains responsible for qualification and licensing of the licensee. Binding or Mandatory reciprocity occurs when a state does not have reciprocity for the national licensing exam, the NCLEX. Topic: Indiana Real Estate Reciprocity

Below is a list of each state that allows reciprocity with Indiana.




Kentucky state law requires you to have a real estate license to represent a seller in an FHA-insured transaction in Kentucky.

Real estate license requirements vary from state to state, but your Kentucky real estate license must be equal to or greater than the license required in the state in which you are seeking to represent an FHA-insured buyer or seller.

Reciprocity Info

All 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands license real estate brokers or salespersons.

Some states may have reciprocal licensing agreements with each other.

In Kentucky, the Department of Real Estate has reciprocal licensing agreements with the following states: Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, and Wisconsin.

Only licensees from those states or the District of Columbia who are licensed by the Kentucky Department of Financial Institutions in accordance with the Uniform Loan Originator Act to conduct a mortgage loan origination in the state of Kentucky, and hold a valid agreement to service the loans originated in Kentucky, are eligible to declare their real estate license to be of equal or higher status to the Kentucky license.


Louisiana is one of the few states that does not allow you to be licensed in multiple states simultaneously. If a Louisiana Real Estate Broker is also licensed in another state, he or she must request and be granted an additional license for the non-Louisiana state.

Each state has its own set of licensing guidelines and forms, which must be followed for purposes of reciprocity. To find out the specific requirements for your state, please refer to the National Association of Realtors’ Licensing Guide.

While each state has different requirements, the basic requirements for Louisiana include:

Have at least 90 days of earned sales experience under the personal supervision of a broker in the state where you are licensed.

Be licensed for at least 3 years in the state where you are licensed.

Take and pass the state-specific licensing examination.

Applicants must not have disciplinary action (ex. license suspension) taken place in a state within 2 years prior to the application date for the license.

Due to the massive changes in the real estate industry, you must check with your state’s real estate commission or the National Association of Realtors to find out if license reciprocity requirements have changed.


It is an exciting time to be in the real estate business in Maine. With so many Maine residents looking to sell or rent their house to people from out-of-state, real estate agents are required to take a Real Estate Salesperson license immediately upon application. There are many applicants that do not have the time to take the license exams, but want to expand their real estate business. They are willing to pay large sums of money for the skills that they can’t get by simply reading a book.

The state of Maine therefore has real estate licenses that are typically federally recognized and allow the agents the ability to establish themselves too other states that wish to recognize the license in a reciprocal manner. However, there are matters regarding the requirement to take the license examinations as quickly as possible before the license is granted. It is a well known fact that some states will not recognize a license until the licensee has some experience. The fees to take the exam are not very expensive. Many individuals simply need the assistance to prepare for the next step.


As of January 1st 2014, all licensed Real Estate Brokers in the State of New York must be approved by the New York State Department of Law. Becoming the law by Mandate, or how it is best described, New York State is willing to accept the Real Estate License issued by any other state as long as the Real Estate State has the required reciprocity agreement in place with New York State.

The reciprocity requirements in New York State are that your Real Estate Exam is not older than two years and you must hold a valid Real Estate license in your home state, and if they do not currently have their own reciprocity agreement with New York State, you must also be licensed in your home state.


New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Delaware, District of Columbia and Northern Virginia – Information for Foreign & Nonresident Real Estate Brokers, Agents, Sales People.

Any state is a great place to obtain and renew a real estate license. But it makes a difference if you have or have not previously obtained your real estate license in one of the following states:

Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Delaware, District of Columbia and Northern Virginia. For brokers, the required educational and/or experience requirements for real estate brokers vary by state. There may be a two-year or ten-year series of tests. Experience and educational requirements you have met in another state are not sufficient to qualify you to practice as a real estate broker in Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Delaware, District of Columbia or Northern Virginia. Three types of limitations apply to the interstate-coverage of the Massachusetts Avenue of the Law. Mandatory, Professional, and Limited Scope limitations apply to various categories of real estate professionals in Massachusetts as established by the rules of the Massachusetts Real Estate Commission. Mandatory limitations prevent real estate brokers, salespersons, and other professionals from engaging in certain categories of activity in certain jurisdictions. The Massachusetts Avenue of the Law provides mandatory coverage in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts but does not provide Mandatory Coverage of the following jurisdictions: Jersey City


If you are a Michigan resident and have recently purchased a home interstate, or are looking to purchase a home.

In another state, Michigan Real Estate License Reciprocity is an important step that may help you. While you can

Buy, sell, and rent property in another state without this license, you may not realize the following benefits to possessing this.

License in addition to your home state license.

If you are purchasing a home in another state, you may be required to share your Michigan Real Estate License.

Or have your license verified by the other state’s governing authority, and some states may require you to submit an.

Application fee.

If you are an interstate sales agent, you may require a Michigan Real Estate License with this license if you.

Pursue your business from another state.

If you are a tenant renting property in another state, your landlord may require you to provide proof of occupancy through Michigan Real Estate License Reciprocity.

If you are a landlord hoping to lease property in another state, you may require a Michigan Real Estate License in addition to your home state license.

If you are a real estate broker seeking to carry on business in another state, some states require this confirmation of employment by the individual.


If you’re moving to another state to fulfill your real estate license requirements, you’ll need to be aware that some states’ real estate licenses are reciprocal with others and many have limited reciprocity or none at all.

To understand how this works, it’s important to know that after you’ve earned your real estate license, you’ll need to recertify it every single year. You have to recertify your license before it drops off your face and you lose your right to practice as a realtor in the state. In order to recertify, you will need to complete the required educational prerequisites and exams.

All states require you to practice in real estate before you can work in real estate in that state. So, reciprocity begins once you have earned your license. Fortunately, most states readily grant reciprocal real estate licensure. Therefore, if you move to a reciprocal state, you will be able to pursue your real estate license in the new state without being required to earn the license in the new state first.

The states that do not have reciprocal real estate licenses are as follows:

  • Alaska
  • Colorado
  • Hawaii
  • Massachusetts
  • New York
  • Rhode Island



Property License Reciprocity:

Missouri is a state with a state-wide reciprocal property license licensing agreement with the state of Kansas. In Missouri, the reciprocal agreement took effect on July 1, 2004.Missouri does not allow a person to claim an active real estate broker license in Missouri if the person also holds an active broker license from a jurisdiction with a reciprocal license agreement. It is the responsibility of anyone claiming reciprocal privileges to verify with the appropriate state agency, first, if a reciprocal arrangement is in place.

Homeowners in Missouri can purchase, construct, and sell homes without needing to obtain a license under state law. The only exception is if you are a developer who is actively building a development. Missouri law also makes it a requirement to obtain a license in order to conduct business with HUD. Additionally, Missouri law requires those seeking to purchase a home to be licensed as a real estate agent.


If you are interested in real estate in Montana and you currently hold any of the following state licenses, you will need to get a Montana Real Estate Salesperson license: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming.

In order to qualify for your Montana real estate license, you will need to fulfill both of the following:

Have a valid, active, and unrestricted real estate salesperson license in a state other than Montana; and

Obtain a passing score on the real estate licensing examination.

To find out what you need to do to become a real estate salesperson in another state, please read below.

Montana Real Estate Salesperson License Reciprocity

A reciprocity agreement between Montana and another license state allows you to apply for a Montana real estate license by submitting the equivalent valid requirements and credits from your state. You will need to submit the following:

  • Your real estate salesperson license;
  • A Montana acceptance form;


As a professional broker the Nebraska Broad Top Association is committed to protecting the public. We have laws in place for the protection of consumers. As a NBB member I am aware of my responsibilities as well as the laws protecting consumers. To a minimum of the guidelines set forth by our state.

This acknowledgement from the NBB to the laws of the state protecting consumers goes hand in hand with the NBB National and Local Rules of Ethics. These rules include the responsibility to protect the public when representing themselves from country to country, nationally and internationally.

If you are licensing more than one state please contact the board of examiners for those states to determine what is exstensive and reasonable.

The Nebraska Real Estate License of Agent Application contains the following subjects:

  • Disclosures Required for Brokers
  • Laws & Regulations: Nebraska Real Estate License Applicant Brokers & Sales Agents Directory Blog
  • Laws & Regulations: Registration List Broker's Source Book

I, John Baker and/or the Broker I represent, understand and agree to all matters contained in this APPLICATION AGREEMENT. The provisions herein represent the entire agreement between the Licensee and the Nebraska Real Estate Commission.

I or the Broker I represent, hereby agree that I will:


If you are an agent licensed in another state, you may often wonder whether your Nevada real estate license will be reciprocated. In the same manner, Nevada certainly has reciprocity agreements with Florida, New York State, Vermont, and Rhode Island. Another thing to consider is that Nevada licenses real estate salespeople, not brokers. This can be explained by the fact that Nevada licenses real estate salespeople to work either independently, or they can team up with others in a group to provide services.

New Hampshire

First off, know that there is no specific New Hampshire law or Florida law regulating the reciprocal recognition of licensees. Secondly, know that there might be some additional and logical clauses that must be included in any agreement, contract or regulation in order to ensure proper reciprocity pursuant to the law.

First, the following is required in order to ensure proper reciprocity between New Hampshire and Florida. That is: An Arizona real estate license holder can purchase real estate in New Hampshire with a valid license issued by any other U.S. state or territory.

A Texas real estate license holder can purchase real estate in New Hampshire with a valid license issued by any other U.S. state or territory. A California real estate license holder can purchase real estate in New Hampshire with a valid license issued by any other U.S. state or territory. Same holds true as well for Washington, New York, and the Carolinas.

A New Mexico real estate license holder can purchase real estate in New Hampshire with a valid license issued by any other U.S. state or territory.

A reciprocal agreement can be reached between the New Hampshire Real Estate Commission and the Florida Real Estate Commission in order to ensure each state’s respective real estate license holders have the same privileges.

New Jersey

If you are currently working in real estate and are considering moving to New Jersey, you’ll need to obtain a real estate license. All states and U.S. territories require that you obtain a real estate license in order to be licensed to sell real estate.

The good news is that all states do allow reciprocity with other states. In most states, you can simply take and pass your New Jersey license exam to become licensed in another state. New Jersey, however, requires that you pass the New Jersey real estate exam.

The New Jersey Zoning Board of Adjustment requires real estate license applicants to pass the New Jersey Real Estate Licensing Examination, regardless of what state they are currently licensed in.

The New Jersey Real Estate Exam has seven parts. New Jersey real estate license applicants must pass each part with a minimum passing grade of 70%.

New Mexico

As a general observation, the breadth of the laws governing a state’s real estate licensing requirements will vary. In New Mexico, the laws can be significantly different for real estate brokers, brokers not holding an active license in another state, broker’s agents, brokers’ agents, real estate agents, real estate salespersons and real estate salespersons.

When moving to New Mexico from another state and acquiring a real estate license in New Mexico, you will encounter many questions concerning the application process, requirements and enforcement of the New Mexico Real Estate Licensing Act. This is where the New Mexico Real Estate License Reciprocity and Portability Guide comes into play.

The guide walks you through the application process and requirements for licensure in New Mexico, and is a helpful resource for brokers or agents who are looking to relocate and continue their careers in the real estate industry.

New York

In New York, real estate licensure is required for individuals who are considering careers as either an agent or broker working with individual condominiums, cooperative apartments, condos, coops, or townhomes.

A license is also required for those who work in association with real estate brokerages and their employees, real estate management firms, or realtors, or who want to start a real estate brokerage of their own. Real estate license reciprocity is not allowed.

The following real estate licenses are available in New York:

  • Licensed real estate agent (licensee)
  • Licensed real estate broker (licensee)
  • Salesperson license
  • Salesperson real estate, not applicable to brokers
  • Salesperson broker, salesperson real estate, and broker agent, not applicable to agents
  • Salesperson intern
  • Broker agent
  • Broker real estate
  • Broker associate
  • Salesperson management

North Carolina

This North Carolina Realtor License Reciprocity and Portability Guide will help you:

Find out if you are eligible for an N.C. Realtor license

Find out if You Are Eligible for a Broker License

Obtaining a North Carolina Real Estate Broker license is simple.

If you are interested in working under a North Carolina Broker Licensee, you must first determine if you meet the requirements. Real Estate is regulated in North Carolina and each state maintains its own real estate license requirements to ensure the health and vitality of the Real Estate industry.

In order to work in real estate in the State of North Carolina, you need to obtain a North Carolina Realtor license from the North Carolina Real Estate Commission (RECC). In the state of North Carolina, this license is known as Realtor, Broker Realtor or Active licensure is required.

A North Carolina Realtor license is earned and issued by the Real Estate Commission and is in addition to any other real estate license requirements of the broker’s home state.

North Dakota

North Dakota has fully reciprocity with all other 50 states and has full licensure reciprocity with the following states: Alaska, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin.

North Dakota requires a real estate license to be issued within 30 days from a one of the twenty-seven states in which a license is obtained, if the requirement for that license is less than 3 years and if the license in the home state was issued within the previous 3 years.

North Dakota will issue a real estate license to any applicant who has successfully completed a real estate brokers course of study to the level of two years and successfully completed the broker’s examination provided that license was issued in one of the twenty-seven states with which we have reciprocal agreements and that license has not expired for more than one year. North Dakota will require additional time to be determined upon receipt of the Verification of Licensure form provided that the following conditions are met: 1. The home state license was issued within three (3) years of the application date; 2. There is proof of passing the North Dakota exam; and, 3. The agent is actively engaged in real estate work in North Dakota.


The state of Ohio recognizes license requirements from all states that require Ohio licensees to hold live reciprocity. The reciprocal states are as follows:

Applications for real estate, agricultural, or related licenses may be submitted, if required, to the Ohio Real Estate Commission:

The following states have full reciprocity with Ohio:

Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, or any of the states that border Ohio.


Oklahoma is a great state to call home if you are a real estate agent or a real estate investor! One of the best things about Oklahoma real estate agents is that there is no need to recertify. For those who are thinking of moving to Oklahoma, this is a real selling point!

The real estate commission license in Oklahoma is also portable. That means that you don’t need to re-register to be a licensed agent in other states; just be licensed in Oklahoma and you’re good to go.

If you are interested in buying a house in Oklahoma, the state’s housing laws are very friendly towards buyers. A patent holder can’t go beyond the closets and other parts of the home to get your money.

Connecticut and North Carolina, in comparison, offers real estate agents complete power to inspect, view, and drill into a homeowner’s walls.

If you are an Oklahoma real estate investor, you are also welcome here. You will be able to invest in the full range of real estate without any hindrance from the state’s regulatory agencies.

For more information on real estate licensing in Oklahoma, click here.


The state of Oregon is the latest state to introduce Education and Real Estate (an abbreviated form of Mutual Reciprocity) under the auspices of the National Association of Realtors®. Oregon Realtors® who are up to date on their MRTs will be allowed to practice their profession in Oregon with their current licenses.

RMLP will maintain no lists of counties with reciprocity or who have rejected reciprocity as each decision is based on individual county rules. The sponsor committee has added the following disclaimer, the decision is made at the state level and the sponsoring state makes no representations regarding the state judgments or their requirements for reciprocal licensing.


Pennsylvania is one of the top real estate markets in the country. But if you’re a recent graduate from a program outside the US, you also know that your first job may not be in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh. Rather, it could be a drive away from home. Sometimes you’re lucky enough to end up in a wonderful new city; other times, you might end up in a completely different industry.

So if you’ve applied to your local authority for a real estate license but haven’t received any response, or if you’re a student just starting out and wondering why they haven’t issued you a license, don’t worry. We’re here to help.

What is Reciprocity?

Rhode Island

Rhode Island has a population size of only 1,056,021, but it is home to a 17,500 square mile landmass, with more than 40 beaches, 60 miles of saltwater shoreline, and historic city regions of Newport and C Rhode Island has about the same number of licensed real estate agents as Wyoming does, so the state you are going to practice in is important.

Is It Illegal to Practice in Rhode Island without a Rhode Island Real Estate License?

In the state of Rhode Island, there is a blanket law that states that without a license, it is illegal to practice real estate in the state. But in Rhode Island, there are no fines for paying a third party to do your license and provide you with a Certificate of Eligibility.

South Carolina

The South Carolina statutes state that a license that is related to real estate and is granted by another state that is agreed by South Carolina to be reciprocal can be used in South Carolina when both licenses are not restricted to particular activities. Therefore, if you hold a Real Estate sales/agent license, it is possible (if your state is reciprocal) to apply/conduct real estate transactions in South Carolina provided South Carolina allows for reciprocal states.

South Dakota

RSI does not guarantee, warrant or represent the accuracy or reliability of any information on this site. You should not rely upon the information presented as for any purpose whatsoever. RSI disclaims all liability for losses, damages or expenses that are directly or indirectly caused by or any way connected to any use of this site or any information accessed through it.

RSI is not a Real Estate Broker or Agent, nor should you send us any money. We do not represent or advise anyone in purchasing or selling real estate or any related business.


The Real Estate License Law of Tennessee is one of the toughest states for out-of-state real estate licensees to gain license reciprocity.

This is in part due to the fact that Tennessee can block licensees from other states from obtaining a license in Tennessee.

How is this done?

If the laws of the state the person currently holds a license to practice in require the persons license information to publicly disclose it, then the former must do the same if/when applying for a new license in Tennessee. But if a state does not require licensees to publicly disclose this information, Tennessee does not require the former to do the same.

So if a state does not publicly disclose person's social security number, we can't get information on that license. And, if a state doesn't even require their licensees to publicly disclose their social security number, we can't get that person's name.

How do I show designated agents authority to act for me when applying for a Tennessee license?

If you have a designated agent, then you can submit a signed and notarized letter from that person to show the Authority to Appear and represents you for the above purposes.

In the letter, include:

  • the designation of the person as the agent and the agent's authority to act for you;
  • a copy of the state where the person's license is currently valid; and


Law: Real Estate Portability Incoming first-time homebuyer, or resident of Texas, who became a non-resident subsequent to the date of execution of a real estate purchase contract, and who closes on the property prior to the expiration of the non-resident provisions. The Texas legislature has adopted a "portability" rule whereby it makes the owner of a single-family residence located in Harris County, Texas, non-resident; and believes that this sale gives the purchaser the right to sell the residence and purchase another home in any other Texas county.

To qualify for reciprocity under this law, you must have owned and continuously occupied the property for at least one year immediately preceding your Texan residence transfer. Pending owner occupancy must have been established by the signing of a lease or rental agreement.

All of these requirements are found in the Texas Real Property Transfer Act (Article 11). The following assumption is that the individual who originally owned the residence could not qualify for first-time home buyer tax credits because of their other sources of income.


If you are a licensed real estate agent in one state and are looking to move to another to take your license, the non-resident license reciprocity process is nearly identical. There are a few small but significant differences in each state that include the time frame to obtain your license, where you will take your exam, and the specific licensing requirements.

For those interested in moving your career to Utah from another state we have set out the following information below, which will guide you in the process.

Time Frame to Obtain License – Any License Taken Will Be Valid for Life as Long as It Is Current

Location of Exam – You will take the same licensing exam given to residents of Utah. The location of the exam is absolutely the only difference between obtaining your license from Utah and being able to work immediately.

State Licensing Requirements – The only difference between Utah and other states is that Utah does not require any experience to obtain a license in real estate.

In addition, if you are a licensed real estate agent in another state and are looking to work in the state of Utah, you will be required to work in Utah for a period of time before you can begin working as a licensed agent. This period of time to fulfill licensing requirements is generally 15 days. Each state differs on the amount of time you will be required to work in the state before you qualify.


Vermont real estate law (Title 32) permits non-residents to take an annual designated course of continuing real estate education and obtain a license upon passing a placement and testing examination similar to the Real Estate Salesperson’s Exam conducted by the National Association of Realtors.

Hence, international students and brokers who possess a valid license from their home state may also qualify for a license in Vermont if they continue their education and training through annual approved continuing education courses in Vermont.

Obtaining a Vermont Real Estate License requires the following:

  • Eligible individual must be at least 18 years of age
  • Completed application typically takes approximately 6 to 8 weeks before the application is accepted
  • Placement examination offered by the Wisconsin Real Estate Commission
  • Successful completion of the exam, which is a written test
  • A successful payment of an applicable fee
  • Verification of current licensure from the state or jurisdiction in which the applicant is licensed

Streamline your sales process with a hassle free and efficient real estate transaction.


The Virginia Real Estate Commission enforces a license suspension and revocation process for real estate licensees who have been convicted of certain crimes. A criminal conviction will have a 48-hour holding period, during which time the licensee may request a hearing to have the conviction overturned. If the conviction is overturned, the licensee may petition the Commission’s Board of Commissioners to reinstate the license.


There are various types of licenses, depending on the duties of the licensee. A license issued by another jurisdiction will not automatically transfer to Virginia if the applicant is in the military or if the license is issued by a state or territory that has jurisdiction over real estate transactions. However, if someone who has previously been licensed in another state or territory had no criminal offenses in that state or territory, they are entitled to reciprocal licensure in Virginia.

The application process for reciprocity is on the other side of the link.

US Department of Housing and Urban Development

HUD will not grant a license to a person convicted of either a felony or certain misdemeanors that are classified in Virginia as felonies.

A person may still hold an active license to practice in Virginia for up to one year after the last conviction.


West Virginia

As a new participant to the real estate industry in West Virginia, you must have proof of your state of residency. Even though you might have bought a home in West Virginia, you may not have a West Virginia real estate license. In turn, you may not be able to purchase an estate when the down payment is greater than 10 percent. The real estate license of your state is very important. It affects your ability to participate in the real estate process in West Virginia. To know more about how you can get a real estate license in West Virginia, please visit the West Virginia State Board of Real Estate website.

West Virginia Real Estate Requirements

In order to become an active member or seller in West Virginia real estate, you must meet certain requirements. Moreover, you need to know about the reciprocity and portability of licenses. You cannot join a real estate process if you have a lifetime career restriction. To be a West Virginia real estate license owner, you must hold a West Virginia real estate license and have the right amount of experience. Moreover, you are not allowed to be a real estate salesman if you are not licensed as a real estate agent. You must constantly keep in mind that you need to meet the specific requirements of the state's real estate industry.



Wyoming is one of the few remaining states that only regulates licensing of brokers. Brokerage is defined as representing clients in the sales of real and personal property.

The following states honor a Wyoming real estate license:

Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Florida, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, Montana, North Dakota, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Washington

These reciprocity states are overseen by the National Association of Realtors (NAR) and do not issue licenses for real estate sales and appraisal.

Bottom Line

If you do live in a non-reciprocal state and take the real estate license exam in a reciprocating state, your license will be honored. No worries if you decide to leave the state where you currently live and move to another state. This means that states with reciprocity can keep your license active.

In many cases, this means you will be able to get your license and start practicing in the state you move to. However, this isn’t true in all states. For example, Arizona and California have similar licensing requirements, but they have reciprocity agreements with each other. Thus, if you decide to move from one of the states to the other, you will not be able to get a license to start practicing in the other state, at least without additional fees and education.

If you decide to move between two states and take the real estate license exam in both, you will have to take two exams and pay twice as much in fees. But you will be able to keep your license, even if you pay extra.

But what is the bottom line for real estate license reciprocity? The finest line is to find out if it is a reciprocal state and check the requirements between the two states to see if you will need to repeat any coursework (in some states there is no reciprocity at all, and you will have to take the real estate license exam again to get licensed).